Tuesday, October 2, 2007
Math
Following this post is another post with a link to see if you can pass eighth grade math. It was kind of fun to do. I have always liked math. I am hating it now for my kids. Our school district introduced a new curriculum several years ago called Investigations. It is an inquiry-based math program--each child discovers their own strategy to solving math problems among other fuzzy, make you feel good things. To an extent I agree with this method, but some of my kids get overloaded with all the possible strategies and miss out on some of the repetition of traditional math. I could go on and on about this, but I won't. Near the end of last school year, the district allowed each school to choose its own curriculum, since Investigations, standing on its own, didn't meet the state standards. Anyway, I still have to put up with Investigations. Investigations is our schools primary program, while Scott-Foresman is our secondary math program. This is supposed to represent a "balanced approach" to math. Well, we will see. Personally, I like the old ways. I really enjoyed knowing I got a right answer and checking my work. My children born with the "math chip" seem to do fine with this, but we'll have to see how this year goes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment